Job Reference: SOS/0917
Location: Cambridge, UK
Astex Pharmaceuticals is a world leader in innovative drug discovery and development. The company has successfully applied its proprietary Fragment-Based Drug Discovery platform to generate multiple new drug candidates that are progressing in clinical development. Astex continues to grow and focuses on Oncology and Neurological Disorders. They have opportunities at their Cambridge, UK, Research Centre for experienced and innovative scientists, wishing to develop their career in a thriving multidisciplinary, industrial environment
CURIOSITY, CREATIVITY AND INNOVATIVE SCIENCE FOR DRUG DISCOVERY
...UNLOCK YOUR POTENTIAL
The biology group at Astex is continuing to expand in order to support their growing portfolio of discovery and development products. The team covers both oncology and neuroscience and stretches from target identification and validation through to translational support for clinical trials. As such this represents an exciting opportunity for scientists wanting to experience drug discovery for the first time or for more experienced scientists wanting to impact projects delivering compounds to patients. Successful candidates will be highly-motivated with the capacity to think creatively and a demonstrable ability to interact with and influence multi-disciplinary project teams at the scientific level. With the opening of our new facilities in Cambridge, UK we are creating several new roles across both therapeutic areas making this is an exciting time to join the Astex team.
· Contribute scientific expertise in oncology to project teams and management
· Provide laboratory-based, non-clinical support for compounds entering or in clinical development and support the evaluation of lead compounds against novel cancer targets
· Lead and influence biology within multi-disciplinary project teams
· Provide input to the strategy and direction of oncology projects
· Independently design and execute preclinical studies - both internally and through external partners (CROs and collaborators) and interpret the results of these studies, either as the head of a team, or by providing expert input
· Interpret data, discuss conclusions and present at various internal and external forums
· Support drug discovery and translational programs
· PhD or MD/PhD in cancer biology or a related discipline
· Proven experience in translational research or drug discovery preferably gained in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical company with a successful record of input into projects
· Strong background in oncology research and/or early oncology development
· Demonstrated ability to work within multi-disciplinary teams to progress projects to the clinic
· Strong publication record in cancer biology
· Demonstrable proficiency in a range of cell biology techniques. In-vivo and ex-vivo experience and a working knowledge of immuno-oncology would also be an advantage.
They offer excellent training and career development opportunities as well as a highly competitive salary and benefits package.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter quoting the job reference: SOS/0917 to HR.UK@astx.com
Closing Date: 14th January 2017